Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Identifying

Most of us can place ourselves in one of the following categories.  Here's a little help in deciding where to check the box:

Optimally Well:
WHO (World Health Organization) defines health as: “A state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.” Got that??? They're saying that just because we're not sick, doesn't mean we are well.  There's far more to great health than standing on a little machine waiting for the LED to light up your body weight. Being Optimally Well is reachable, doable, and worth it. It's just a little hard work up front!



Healthy:
So...you're within normal weight range, you don't smoke, you watch your alcohol intake, you aren't too stressed out, you enjoy life, eat your veggies, get good sleep, and see your doctor regularly.  So what's wrong then?  Maybe something you just can't put your finger on....something nudging you that whispers, "there's more."  And there is......

Unhealthy, but not sick:
You know if you are in this category.  You probably have some bad habits.....and you've been lucky enough to escape serious illness (so far). Deep down, you might fear you'll be dealing will some  issues someday, but for now..........this is where you are comfortable. You might have the "I'll deal with it when/if it happens" mentality.  You might have a tendency to turn the other cheek or justify your situation? If you're a yo-yo dieter and exerciser, this could be you.

Suffering from Chronic Illness and/or Disease:
Here's your scenario...you might have:
High blood pressure, Obesity, Diabetes, Heart Disease, Allergies, Asthma, Premenstrual Problems & Irregularity,  MS, Reproductive Disorders, Anxiety, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, ADD/ADHD, Elevated Cholesterol, Infertility, Neurological Disorders, IBS, Arthritis, Sleep Apnea, Thyroid Disorder, Chronic Fatigue, Migraine, Skin Disorders, Developmental Problems,  Autoimmune Disorders, Aggravated Menopause Symptoms, Seizures, Depression, or Cancer......and this is the short list. 
Feel free to add your diagnosis to it.
Terminally ill:
Perhaps you've been given a grim diagnosis or one that will shorten your life here on earth.  I pray that you are able to use your experiences to influence others who might still be able to detour from unhealthy lifestyles. Maybe you were living in Optimal Wellness and still.......became ill.  We all know there are no guarantees and all of our days are numbered. That reality is not a good reason to live a mediocre life.  One thing is true, we will all leave this earth at some point. 
Live fully while we have this precious time

Be honest and place yourself in one (maybe one and a half) categories.  Now, I ask you (as we did at B2B - we physically stood in a category located in our room).......what is keeping you from being at the top in Optimally Well?  After the B2Bers placed themselves, they were given a sheet of paper and a pencil. Then, they were asked to write down a reason (or more :) that is keeping them from being OW.  Here's an example of what was anonymously recorded:
  • I am an "emotional eater"
  • My spouse does not support a better lifestyle
  • I don't get enough sleep, so I'm always tired
  • Stressful work life
  • I eat too much sugar and processed foods
  • I have pre-diabetes
  • I eat junk food after a workout
  • I love night-time snacking
  • I am on too many meds
  • I'm so busy with my kids
  • Unhappy marriage - I'm depressed
  • I love Diet Soda
  • I travel a lot and have to eat out
  • Addicted to coffee
  • Can't put my finger on it
  • My wife is a great baker - if I don't eat her treats, she's upset
  • I don't really enjoy exercise
  • I drink too much alcohol (mainly beer)
  • I've always been heavy. Don't know what healthy feels like
  • It might take the fun out of life
See? We're not alone. Take a while and think about your lifestyle. What's holding you back?

winds of change



Scroll to Top

No comments:

Post a Comment